I have always enjoyed making salads! When I teach my nutrition and cooking demonstrations in the schools, I like to incorporate every color of the rainbow into a beautiful garden fresh salad. This salad is always a favorite with the kids. It's simple, colorful and fun! Try cutting the vegetables in different shapes, such as, half moon cucumbers, carrot coins, spiralized radishes and confetti bell pepper! Eating the rainbow will ensure you are getting a variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants!
• 2 cups lettuce, arugula, kale or any other favorite greens
• 1 cup purple cabbage, thinly shredded
• 1 cup carrots , shredded or cut into coins
• 1 cup diced cucumbers, cut into half moons
• 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
• 1 cup radishes, sliced, diced or spiralized
Optional "toppings": Sprinkle in any of the following: dried cranberries, pomegranates, blueberries, sunflower seeds or croutons
1. Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Whisk together lemon dressing ingredients
3. Pour onto salad and toss until well coated
Basic Lemon Dressing
Yield: Approximately ¾ cup dressing
• 1 tbsp. lemon zest
• ¼ cup lemon juice
• ½ cup olive oil
• 1 tsp honey or maple syrup
• ½ tsp salt
Optional dressing add-ins:
• 1 minced garlic clove
• fresh minced herbs
• 2 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Add lemon zest and juice to bowl, whisk in honey and salt (and any optional add-ins), drizzle in olive oil and whisk well. Can also add ingredients to a jar and shake well!
Check out our How to Build a Perfect Salad worksheet for more ideas on building a colorful and healthy salad!
Join my email list and immediately gain access to my TOP FIVE SMOOTHIE RECIPES right now as a thank you!!
NEW RECIPES DELIVERED FOR FREE!
Get the latest recipes delivered straight to your inbox, and be the first to hear about new cooking classes, workshops, blog post updates, and more! Give it a try...you can unsubscribe at any time. :-)
And, of course, I promise to never spam you or sell your email address to anyone.
PLEASE NOTE: The information provided throughout my website pertaining to your health or wellness, is not intended to be a substitute for the professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by your own physician or health care provider. It is intended to be provided for informational, educational, and self-empowerment purposes only. This information should not be used to diagnose, treat or cure any illness or health condition. If you have, or suspect that you have a medical problem, contact your physician or health care provider. A Health Coach is defined as a guide and mentor who empowers clients to take responsibility for their own health and supports them to implement and sustain lifestyle and behavior changes that will contribute to the achievement of their personal wellness goals. I became certified as a Health Coach because of my passion for health and wellness, and to work with others on incorporating positive and healthy changes in their lives.
© 2018 Web Design by Lisa Smith, Geek Girls In Vegas